So far only prism maps are supported, but other thematic mapping techniques will be added in the upcoming weeks. The engine returns a KMZ file that you can open in Google Earth or download to your computer. My primary data source is UNdata.
The above visualisation is generated by TME (download KMZ) and shows child mortaility in the world (UNdata).
The Thematic Mapping Engine is also an example of what you can achieve with open source tools and datasets in the public domain:
- A world border dataset is loaded into a MySQL database. The same database contains tables with statistics from UNdata.
- A PHP script generates KML by querying the database and adding styles according to the parameters given by the user.
- Map legends are generated on-the-fly using the GD graphics library.
- All files are zipped into one KMZ file which are stored on a web server. A link to the file is returned to the user.
- The user interface is build with Ext JS and AJAX techniques.
Try Thematic Mapping Engine
Please give your feedback by posting a comment below!